The second day of Navratri is dedicated to the reverence of the second form of Goddess Durga, Maa Brahmacharini. Don’t think that the health and fitness blog of Talwalkars is turning to spiritualism (although a little bit will do no harm) however there is a lot to learn from the resolve of Maa Brahmacharini.
She represents love and immense strength and did meditation and penance to get Lord Shiva as her husband. It is this dedication and will that women need to have to succeed in every aspect of life, including achieving their fitness goals (see how I digressed into fitness, thank you for the applause).
The good news, however, is that you need not spend years, but a few changes to your day to day life will boost your willpower and help you better focus on health and fitness.
- The first and easiest step is to get proper sleep. A sleepless night will give you a lot of trouble focusing on tasks. It is imperative to a good night’s sleep which also keeps stress at bay.
- Meditation is another tool to increase one’s willpower. Initially, it can be done for as less as five minutes and as you become an expert it can be done for as long as you are comfortable doing it. Digressing again to the introduction of this article the willpower of the Goddess was fortified due to her yoga and meditation.
- The parts of the brain that controls willpower can also be strengthened with exercising. It has been proven that exercising even for two months will improve a person’s willpower.
- Manage stress effectively or else the body will make decisions for short-term goals. Stress can be managed by many techniques including yoga, meditation and breathing exercises.
- Talking to oneself or self-motivation is also a good way to keep the willpower active for the whole day. Small pep talks will help boost a person’s willpower.
- Make a plan and stick to it no matter what. This will fortify your will to follow a pattern decided by you.
- Just because it is the festival season it does not mean that you gorge on all the sweet and salty snacks. Maintain restrain and avoid sugary, salty and deep fried dishes. A simple trick is to keep eating healthy foods such as dry fruits and nuts before the delicacies arrive.
- Another simple trick to increase willpower is to clench your fists till you are exhausted. This can be done when you are standing or sitting. This will do wonders to your willpower. Try it to believe it.
- Always be mindful of your decisions.